Is your financial situation in such a state that you're not sure if you'll ever be able to pay back your debt?
We understand how damaging that can be and we want you to be able to stand up for yourself.
There are a number of situations that creditors may deem appropriate to write off your debts. These include:
- You were under 18 when you borrowed the money.
- You have a mental health problem (you may have to produce a DMHEF).
- You weren't capable of agreeing to the contract due to a learning disability, alcohol or drugs.
- The terms of the contract were misleading.
If any of these circumstances are applicable to you - you can include them to help strengthen your refusal of repayment.
Use this letter template to construct a message to your creditors that explains your situation and how you will never be able to pay back the money you owe. Please note that your creditors may be under no obligation to agree the terms in this letter.
You will need:
- A valid reason to refuse repayment of your debts.
- Your account/reference number.
- An estimated date to confirm your financial situation.
- A copy of your financial statement.
- Certainty that you cannot afford to ever repay your creditors.